The Snap Studio
The Snap Studio is a year-long photography basics course for anyone interested in learning how to take better pictures with their phones or fancy cameras. Basic photography techniques, skills and challenges will be given in manageable-sized lessons emailed to you throughout 2019. Perfect for the person who doesn't have time or energy to cram a whole class into mere weeks. Learn how to make your images into more than just snapshots with this mildly-paced course with easy to follow lessons and videos aimed at helping learners of all ages (13+) and all abilities.
- Each month of 2019 there will be a technique or topic going over the basics of different photography skills. (Note: we will not go into a lot of depth on these subjects, the goal is to get a good basic understanding of the different ways to use your camera on different subjects and in various situations. Once you have an idea of what you like to photograph, I can recommend some more advanced classes for you if you want to continue learning.)
- Some of the things we will cover are: getting to know your camera, getting correct exposure and focus, composition, lighting, editing, photographing different subjects such as people, flowers, still life or nature, how to make colors work for you and using creative choices in your work.
- On the first day of each month, you will get an email with the month's class materials. Depending on the skill, technique or topic, there will be multiple video lessons covering each topic or technique thoroughly. (Trust me, I'm not short-winded when it comes to teaching, especially when I'm passionate about the subject!) You'll also get a PDF with a recap, plus lists of the important facts. You can look up key ideas easily on your phone, or print it off to look over as you practice your new skills. In addition, there will be specific challenges and assignments given for every week of the year, to work on throughout the month to help you grasp the concepts we are studying.
- The camera you use for this course, does not matter. Maybe you don't have a fancy camera (yet!) but want to learn how to use your camera phone better. Maybe you got a dSLR awhile ago and all those buttons scare you. No worries! A lot of techniques and foundations of photography do not rely on the type of camera you use. This is why I'll be focusing on the skills and concepts. Buuuuut, I do know as well that some will want to learn what those all of those buttons do. There will be videos covering the basics concepts, of course, but when necessary, I will teach you how to do those in both mobile devices and fancy cameras. That way if you are wanting to upgrade later on, you'll have the information to come back to!
- Though not required, there will be an optional closed Facebook group with all who are enrolled in the class who want to join. This will give you the opportunity to share your work, be inspired by others, ask questions and learn with others. This will be a safe space to learn alongside others this year, and maybe even make a new friend or two! Though I will be somewhat active in the group, I will not be able to give feedback on individual images. You are welcome to give feedback to others in the group though. (I am looking at other options for a site that can host a class, but as of now, most everything is not financially possible for me until I know that I have enough students to help pay for it.)
- An optional purchase with this course is getting personalized feedback from me. For those who decide on this option, they will have the opportunity to send in one assignment each month and get personalized feedback about what they're doing well at and how they could improve. Be aware that there will be a limited number of seats available for this option. You can always purchase it later if there is room.
The Snap Studio Class: $125 per person
The Snap Studio Class + Feedback: $225 per person